top of page
History of the Village of Reese
Welcome to the Village of Reese founded in 1873 made up of two communities at the time Gates Reese in Denmark Township, Tuscola County, Reese was first settled in 1865 when Mrs. Louisa Woodruff and her son Dan built the first house on land purchased from Jesse Hoyt. Two years later a Mr. Rogers built a house which he later converted into a hotel called the County Line House. The Saginaw-Watrousville plank road was under construction at that time and was opened to traffic in 1871. In 1872 Asenath M. Rogers platted 11 acres of land and named the village Gates, after A. W. Gates of Saginaw, the stage proprietor on the plank road. In 1873 the Detroit and Bay City railroad was built and Hudson B. Blackman platted another tract of land adjacent to Gates and named it Reese in honor of G. W. Reese the Railroad superintendent.
bottom of page